Sunday, November 18, 2007

And they said the learning curve was steep in law school



Trixie Tracker updating has fallen by the wayside, as anyone who's checked will have noticed. Right now we're focusing on accomplishing the eating and sleeping. We'll work on recording it later. Clocks have much less meaning than they used to - all time has become relative, and runs in three to four hour cycles. And the crib cam will be more interesting once we can get him to sleep in it for longer than half an hour.

We had a pediatrician appointment yesterday, and Finn's weight has already leveled off, at 8 lbs 3 oz, so that's good. Last night he slept for two THREE HOUR stretches. We're trying not to extrapolate this few days of data into believing that we have the easiest baby ever, but it's hard. Also, at first he had three modes - screaming, eating, and sleeping. Over the past few days there's this new category, "nothing's-wrong-I'm-just-awake-and-looking-around" that I must admit is my favorite, and there's more of it all the time.

My mom has been here since Friday. Before the birth we weren't sure if we would want anyone around the first week or two, but I'm so glad she could come earlier rather than later. I'm not sure how we would have survived the weekend otherwise, and today will be ... interesting... after she leaves. She got in a lot of Finn-holding time, picked up after us when we weren't looking, and even made us a cake. Thanks to her we actually went out to dinner for Jonathan's birthday last night, which was exhausting but fun. I realize this reveals what a dope I am, but I didn't expect to be this ... beat. I think I thought, sure, I'll be sleep deprived, but we'll deal with that. I completely failed to take into account the physical toll of pushing another human being out of my body and then having to put myself back together again. So I'm trying to take it easy, and this blog post is the most challenging thing I have lined up for the day.

4 comments:

Drywall said...

Imagine having twins!

Martha and I have spent the last 2 night at ours friends' place helping with the boys since the dad is gone. It's crazy! Glad you're doing well.

Rachel said...

You're doing a fantastic job, Katie! (Jonathan, too.) Thanks for posting. It is really nice to hear how you are doing. We were too lazy to do anything like that.
-Rachel

Jess said...

Take care of yourself. Sleep as much as possible during the day and rest lots this week.

Kevin said...

You two will do great!!! I can not wait to see him at x-mas. It will get better. Haley has tried every nerve in my body. So if I can do it you for sure can. Tell Jonathan to work on his speed.
PS Hey that sweatshirt your mom is wearing is sharp!!!