Friday, June 12, 2009

We Dig It!


Some people keep important articles of clothing for a long time. I am one of those people. Like my totally awesome, "6th grade, we dig it" shirt from 1989. When I was 12. We all signed it. Island Lake Elementary! How on Earth can I still fit into a shirt that I bought when I was 12? I'm not really sure, but I really liked baggy shirts at the time. So apparently I got a large. I can only assume it is an adult large, which is what I wear now. I wore it a few times in high school and college, for fun, and have kept it ever since.

I wore it Wednesday, the day of final exam of the first undergrad class that I taught. The students were pretty weirded out. Firstly, they couldn't fathom that I could still wear the shirt, AND that I had kept it. Also, apparently a few of them didn't realize that I am "only" 32. I am younger than one of my students. I told them my age on the first day, but maybe it didn't sink in. I don't think I look old and decrepit, but I do have some bags under my eyes, thank to Finn, I guess. And my hair is, oh, rather thin. I think it will be a fun tradition to wear it to finals from now until I retire in 35-40 years. I'll have to keep it in mint condition, though.

I brought Finn into work today, which was fun. One of my students that works with me, Megan, graduated today, and there was a ceremony for the physics undergrads. Congrats! Also, apparently this blog has a small following amongst the UCSC astro grads, so, ah, hi there. Some of you met Finn today. Sorry he wasn't very chatty. It takes him awhile to warm up to new people.

No comments: