Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fun times at home and up in San Francisco

Finn's favorite word these days is "again." As in, yes, we've read this book 11 times in a row, but I want you to read it "gin! gin!"

He also likes to say it about his favorite website, CuteBreak, which we discovered the day he got his black eye. Its adorable animal videos are good for emergencies, like when I need 2 minutes to finish my breakfast, or to get Skype working.

He still loves animals of all kinds. So Saturday, when we had dinner plans with Alex & Laura up in San Francisco, we went up early and spent the afternoon at the new California Academy of Sciences. It was a BIG hit.

Here he is marveling at some kind of crazy 3-foot-long rainforest catfish.

Fish! from Katie on Vimeo.

And here he is aboard a (bronze) tortoise.
There are more pictures of our adventures from Saturday - penguins! More fish! Chameleon! - on Flickr. There were also stuffed giraffes, lions, and zebras, and real live butterflies, all of which were a big hit with Finn, and a 0-5 zone hidden away in the back where Jonathan and I could sit on our butts for a while as Finn ran rampant, which was a big hit with us.

In other news, I'm still enjoying my summer vacation. Baby Jr., as we're still apparently calling him, is at least as active as Finn was at this age, kicking up a storm. I think I've read seven books since I finished my last final. I'm still putting off most of the responsible homework-type tasks I've assigned myself for the summer, but I have baked 2 cakes, a batch of cookies, and 2 pies. I think I have a new go-to pie crust recipe. My old one tastes marginally better (according to me; Jonathan refuses to weigh in), but the texture on this one is great and it's SO MUCH EASIER to work with that the old recipe may be relegated to extra-special occasion pies. I went from 0 to rhubarb-custard-pie-in-the-oven in under 45 minutes the other day. Fun times here in CA!

And last but certainly not least, a big congratulations to the Byrne family, which added a member today. Welcome, little Nora!

No comments: