Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Missing Finn and Katie

As a professional scientist, I travel a lot. Over the past 3 years I bet I was out of town once a month, on average. Will that continue now that Finn is born? Partially. I just got back from the University of Virginia (2 1/2 days away last week) and Los Alamos National Laboratory (2 1/2 days this week) where I gave talks on my current research. Also there are a number of national and international conferences to go to, where I interact with other scientists, make research plans, and give talks. Occasionally they are in exotic locales, like Santorini. :)

But it was hard just being gone for these short trips. Finn changed in 2 days! He really did! When I left for UVa, he didn't really stick out his tongue, and when I came back he was doing it all the time! So that part is hard. I think I'm definitely going to be cutting out some conference travel. But times when I'm specifically invited to give talks are important, as that is something that will be looked at when I come up for tenure, so some travel is going to be inevitable. This May there is a big conference in Boston, for over an entire week, but Katie and Finn are going to come with me!

4 comments:

Marc said...

I feel like I've missed so much just being away from Colden for work 8 hours each day. I can't imagine having to leave town! I think I'd freak :)

Martha and Liz said...

You will let us know when you're in boston, right? No fair coming to New England without us getting to see you.

Also. Do whatever you can to have more talks at Los Alamos. We'll be there (close enough) soon.

Martha

Jess said...

Can't wait until we see you guys in May!

I love the postcard and stamp--I would buy some, but it would likely confuse people who thought it was Casey.

Oh, and we really dug Baby Human (from your video list). Those puppet shows in the "How They Think" segment are very messed up.

Unknown said...

You're a professional scientist? I thought that was just a hobby.