Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Dispatch from Grandma Week

Yesterday:
Finn: Why are the brakes making noise?
Gma: They must be wet.
Finn: How did they get wet? It's not wet out.
Gma: Must be the fog.
Finn: Fog doesn't get in brakes.
Gma: Yes, I believe it does.
[Graham taking my side and echoing "fog. Fog."]
Finn: Last time when you drove in Iowa the brakes made noise too.
Gma: Yes, they did! You have a good memory.
Finn: So maybe you're not such a good driver.

This morning, unsolicited, he volunteered that his mom and dad were both better drivers than me, especially his dad, who is always learning more about driving.


******
Jonathan and I are currently in St. Ives, not far from Cambridge, vising Jeanna and Craig (Jonathan's sister and her husband). Today he gave a short talk at Cambridge, and tomorrow we take a train to London, and from there to Paris! Besides catching up on our sleeping, reading, TV watching, and eating of English foodstuffs (Wensleydale! Scones! Pasties!), we've also done some sightseeing and shopping. We're having a great time, more so thanks to updates like these from my mom. It's also neat that our rented Italian smart phone can use Google Voice to send text messages to my mom in California while I'm in England.
I'm sure we'll have plenty of pictures to bore you with soon. Until then...

No comments: