Monday, October 13, 2008

Surviving the weekend alone with our Destructo

Have we mentioned lately that Finn's a maniac? He is. We've officially upgraded him from "imp" to "fiend."So I was a little worried when Jonathan left for his most recent trip. When he was in Berne I usually ended up eating dinner around 9, about 2 hours after Finn went to bed, and it was always cold because I kept thinking of One More Thing I had to do, urgently, before I could eat it. That was back when you could still turn your back on him. Now his playpen is apparently cruel and unusual punishment, and if you set him down in the middle of the floor he will pick the one thing in the room that, if you had half an hour to think about, you would least want him to touch, and go stick that in his mouth (we've been doing a lot of trash can relocation lately).
The upshot: I haven't been getting any dishes washed or food cooked while he's awake, so I decided I just wasn't going to do any at all while Jonathan was gone. Poof! Frozen burritos, takeout Chinese (thanks, Margaret!), here we go. I was much more pleased with myself last time, and I do feel guilty about the leeks and peppers languishing in the fridge, but my feet, back, and blood pressure are thanking me, and I've been getting some homework done.

Also for Jonathan-less sanity, this weekend we just focused on playing rather than on getting things done. We checked out the Children's Discovery Museum in San Jose on Saturday. They have an area that's just for kids under 4, and within that, a room for "infants and crawlers." There are carpeted ramps and stairs, a fake fish tank, and a little cube with a cushion floor and mirror walls. It was definitely worth the price of my admission - Finn's was free! Here he is digging the mirror box:
More photos from our weekend at Flickr. Videos of squirting Finn in the face are on Jonathan's computer and will hopefully be posted later in the week.

No comments: