Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Week in Bern, Switzerland

Hi, I'm in Bern! I'm here for a small meeting on planetary magnetism. Bern is the administrative home of Switzerland, which I think is the same as the capital. :) It is a very pretty town--the "old city" is basically unchanged since the 1300s, or so. Here is its famous clock:

photo by Márcio Cabral de Moura via Flickr
I haven't seen the moving puppets and stuff at the top of the hour. I'll keep looking.

The most amusing thing that has happened to me so far is when I hopped off the plane in Zurich. I hadn't actually realized that Switzerland does NOT use the Euro, but uses Swiss Francs. Long story short, I converted from dollars to francs to euros to francs, which means I lost about 30% of the value in fees. Ouch!

It's been hard to be away from Finn--this is my longest time away from home. But we Skyped yesterday, and we'll do it again tomorrow. He definitely got excited seeing my face on the monitor, and he liked it when I talked to him and made funny faces.

1 comment:

Bookseller Angie said...

Oh Jonathan. Switzerland isn't even in the E.U. Why WOULD it use the euro?? Silly Jonathan. I miss you guys. The end.